November 08, 2013

Should I take Disney College Program Courses?

Disney College Program Educational Courses


This is the question I keep asking myself at the moment. As a part of Disney's "Living.Learning.Earning." experience, they offer educational course for college credit and leisure (the exploration series). This opens up opportunities for networking, resume building, team work, and skill enhancement. 

I really want to make the most of my experience and learn more about the company. However, there are a few cons to taking courses during the Disney College Program. 

Since I am Spring Advantage, I am allowed to take 2 course at a time  during my program. However, if you take a class it will be scheduled on your days off.

Classes are typically 2-4 hours long and last for 8 sessions (8 weeks or 2 months). I've been told, that it is now possible to schedule your class times. During my last program, this was not an option but classes were also free. 

For the ACE college credit courses, the price can range from $10-40 and this does not include the cost of books. However, this option is great for those getting credit from their college.

However, I can see this being a huge inconvenience for me. I have a lot of things I want do and see during the program, and having 1 of my 2 off days being awake (possibly earning morning) to stay in a class that is 2 or 3 hours long may become . . . annoying. What if I want to do something early that morning? Hmm . . . this could become a problem.

Some classes even have homework, projects and presentations. Now, this would be great if I were to receive credit for these classes, but I'm not doing it for college credit. I just wanted to do it for leisure purpose and networking.

However, upon reading a few comments on the 2014 Facebook group page it seems like it just depends on the purpose of you program.

Many say that the classes can be fun, entertaining, good for networking and informative. Others say, you'll be spending your off days going to a class on your off day and those will not change.

So, this is currently where I stand. I have until November 11th to figure it out. Humph!

0 comments:

Post a Comment